Home News Human Rights Retrial denied for sick political prisoners

Retrial denied for sick political prisoners

Hassan Sadeghi and Fatemeh Mosana, who have been tortured and imprisoned multiple times since the mullahs stole power in 1979, are currently serving 15-year prison sentences for commemorating Sadeghi’s late father, an anti-regime activist.

Denial of medical treatment
Sadeghi, who is detained in Karaj’s Rajai Shahr prison, sustained eye injuries under torture when he was first arrested, which have developed into secondary ailments, including glaucoma. He may soon require surgery and has an appointment with an ophthalmologist, but the prosecutor’s office is refusing to let him leave.

Mosana, who is detained in Tehran’s Evin prison, suffered a leg injury in 2016 while incarcerated, but authorities ignored complaints of chronic pain and delayed her treatment – the simple application of a cast – for two and a half months. She was eventually transferred to an outside medical facility where doctors diagnosed her with permanent tendon rupture; something that would never have happened if she’d be treated immediately.

First arrests
Mosana, 41, was first arrested in 1980, when she was just 13, alongside her mother. Both women were charged with “Moharebeh” [enmity against God] and “Baqi” [rebellion] for membership in the opposition group, the MEK. They each served three years in prison. Meanwhile three of Mosana’s brothers and a sister-in-law were executed for participating in anti-regime activities.

Sadeghi, 43, was first arrested in 1981 at the age of 16. During his six-year incarceration, he was severely tortured, both physically and psychologically, with multiple lashings from cables causing a dent in his skull and fracturing his heel bone. He now has to wear gel insoles and orthopaedic shoes to relieve the chronic foot pain, but the prosecutor’s office bars him from buying them for himself whilst in prison. He also developed an ulcer and gastrointestinal infection.

Family incarceration
When the pair were first arrested in February 2013, authorities sealed their house and also kept their 19-year-old son Iman in custody for one and a half months and their 10-year-old daughter Fatemeh for three days. Both children are now in the custody of their elderly grandmother.

Authorities also ordered the couple to surrender their home and their shop, whilst they were behind bars for a year facing trial. Judge Ahmadzadeh of Revolutionary Court Branch 26 sentenced the t 15 years in prison, a sentence that was upheld on appeal.

Exit mobile version