In his report addressing the United Nations General Assembly on August 31, Secretary-General Antonio Guterres expressed his concerns over the increasing number of executions in Iran. He declared that at least 333 inmates were hanged in 2021, including 17 women and three juvenile offenders, compared to 267 in 2020.
Guterres also said the Iranian regime is responsible for 60 percent of executions in the Middle East and North Africa. Reports indicate this number is on the rise, and the regime has executed at least 105 prisoners in 2022’s first quarter.
However, native rights activists unveil that the actual number of executions is too high. “The regime hanged at least 366 prisoners in 2021,” the Human Rights Association No to Prison-No to Execution declares. “The number of executions reached 404 in 2022 and is rising.”
Furthermore, Iran Human Rights Monitor, which continuously monitors the human rights situation in Iran and provides in-depth reports, announced, “Tehran has executed at least 143 prisoners in the first quarter of 2022.”
Why Supreme Leader Khamenei Elevated Raisi as President?
In August 2021, Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei appointed Ebrahim Raisi as the regime’s eighth president in a forged election that received unprecedented public apathy. Given his background as a henchman in the mass killing of political prisoners in 1988, citizens and rights activists call Raisi the “Butcher of Tehran.”
“In May 2017 presidential election, our people will say their opinion about those who have just known execution and prison in the past 38 years,” said former president Hassan Rouhani during his presidential campaign in Hamedan city on May 8, 2017, addressing his rival and then-judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi.
"In May 2017 presidential election, our people will say their opinion about those who have just known execution and prison in the past 38 years," said Hassan Rouhani on the current judiciary chief Ebrahim Raisi during his presidential campaign in #Hamedan on May 8, 2017. pic.twitter.com/l4h6xaEplI
— Iran News Update (@IranNewsUpdate1) August 7, 2020
In this respect, observers believe that Khamenei selected Raisi to strike fear into society and prevent further socioeconomic protests and anti-regime activities. However, Khamenei’s path has failed, and the regime faces growth in the quality and quantity of demonstrations.
“Death to Raisi,” “Raisi’s government will soon collapse,” and “Raisi is a liar, what happened to your promises,” chant citizens from different walks of life in their rallies and marches. Nevertheless, Raisi has increased executions in response to people’s fundamental grievances and demands. Below is the list of the executed men and women from the beginning of 2022 to August 2022, which of course is not a complete list of the regime’s cruelty while many of the executions are implemented in secrecy.
- On, December 31, 2021, four Kurdish prisoners, Hossein Abbaszadeh, Moghadam Alizadeh, Faizollah Ghorbani, and Hamdollah Alemi, were hanged in Urmia Central Prison.
- From January 9 to 13, the regime hanged a Baluch citizen in Isfahan Prison, and six prisoners in Gohardasht. Two brothers, Farhang and Yaser Aliallahi, were executed in Zanjan after five years in prison. A prisoner was executed in Qazvin Prison. Jalil Ashtarak, Mohammad Salar Zehi, and Amin Alipanahi were hanged in Zabul and Shiraz prisons. The regime hanged three prisoners, Abdul Rahim Sargolzaei, Mohammad Jafar Salehi, and Shahin Khosravi, in Isfahan Prison.
- On, January 16 and 17, the regime hanged a 33-year-old Baluch political prisoner, Abdolbaset Rigi, from Saravan, in Zahedan Prison. And two prisoners in Khorramabad and Shiraz prisons.
- On January 19 and January 20 twelve prisoners were hanged, six each day. Idris Gomshadzehi, a Baluch citizen, was executed in Zahedan Prison; Parviz Akbari-Rad, Jamaluddin Gorgich, and Dadshah Sarani were hanged in Zabul Prison; Ali Yazdani and Eshaq Mohammad Amin (an Afghan national) were hanged in Rasht and Isfahan prisons, respectively. Mohammadi from Izeh was executed after 20 years in prison. Five other prisoners, Eqbal Mostofi and Houshang Khanmohammadi were executed in Khorramabad, and Hamed Manouchehri, Sobhan Shohani, and Mohammad Karimnejad were hanged in Ilam.
- From, January 26 to 31, the regime hanged Hossein Kaveh, 50, in Lakan (Rasht). Mehrdad (Akbar) Karimpour, 32, and Farid Mohammadi are two young prisoners who have been executed. Two Baluch prisoners, Nasser Sohrab Zehi and Mohammad Reza Afridon, 32 were hanged in Zahedan Prison. And two other prisoners in Urmia Prison. Two other prisoners were also executed in Adelabad Prison in Shiraz.
- On February 2 and 3, the regime executed Hafizollah Brahui and Najibollah Gargich, in Zahedan and Mashhad prisons, and a prisoner was hanged in Adelabad prison in Shiraz.
- From February 13 and 19, the regime executed Hamed Kheradmand, 35, in Zahedan Central Prison, Kazem Yousefi, 40, in Isfahan Central Prison, Mossayeb Faraji, 34 in Kermanshah’s Dizelabad Prison, and Mokhtar Valizadeh in Shiraz Adelabad Prison.
- From February 21 to 28, the regime hanged five prisoners in Gohardasht Prison in Karaj. A 30-year-old Kurdish prisoner named Farshad Farzi was hanged in Ilam Central Prison. One prisoner in Mashhad and another prisoner in Kashan. Morad Salehbeyg, 45, was hanged in Zanjan Prison. Ali Haidar Dehghani, 40, and Jassem Ghanbari, 30, a Baluch national were hanged in Khorramabad and Jiroft (Kerman) prisons.
- On March 2 and 3, the regime executed a prisoner in Dezful prison. A 36-year-old prisoner named Akbar Shahsavand was hanged in Dastgerd Prison in Isfahan.
- From May 6 to 18, three prisoners named Esmail Jahantigh, 25, Mansour Barahui, 32, and Farshad Gomshad-Zehi, 19, were hanged in Zahedan Central Prison. A prisoner named Hossein Fartash was executed in Dastgerd Prison in Isfahan. A prisoner in Vakilabad Prison in Mashhad and another in Sabzevar Prison were executed. Four prisoners named Ali Hossein Panah, Mohammad Gholamhosseini, Ali Pajmordeh, and his uncle Abbas Pajmordeh were hanged in Adelabad Prison in Shiraz, and another six prisoners, including a woman, were hanged in Zahedan and Qom prisons. Dariush Rahimi, 32, was sentenced to death in public. Three prisoners named Farshad Nematzadeh, Mehdi Shirchian, and Eshaqi were hanged in Amol Central Prison. A prisoner named Khalil Rezaeipour was hanged in Qom Central. A Baluch prisoner named Mohammad Bameri was hanged in Iranshahr Prison.
- From May 22 to 29, the regime hanged ten prisoners, including a woman, in Gohar Dasht, Qarchak, Varamin, and Tehran prisons. Eight of these prisoners were hanged in Gohar Dasht Prison, six of whom are Ramin Arab, Abbas Bitarafan, Vahid Mianabadi, Gholam-Hossein Zeinali, Ali Nosrati, and Ali Montazeri. A female prisoner named Laden Molla-Saeedi and a prisoner with R-A’s initials were also hanged in Qarchak Prison in Varamin and Tehran, respectively. The regime hanged a female prisoner in Amol Prison and another prisoner in Zanjan Prison. Mohammad Sorkhru and Mossadegh Mallahi from Minab and another prisoner named Abbas Kamali from Jask were hanged in Minab Prison. Another woman named Hayati and a Baloch prisoner named Abdul Bari Rigi were hanged in Adelabad Prison in Shiraz. In addition, the 29-year-old prisoner named Elias-Q, and Mohammad Morad Fazeli, 37, from Shirvan, were hanged in Mashhad’s Vakilabad and Shirvan Prisons, respectively. Hamidollah Sahraei and Nader Gargij were hanged in Chahbahar and Zabol Prisons. A prisoner in Saveh Prison, a 27-year-old in Vakilabad Prison in Mashhad, and a 25-year-old in Karaj Central Prison were also hanged.
- From June 1 to 9, the regime hanged two prisoners, Behnam Khanjani and Farhad Ramezanian, in Rasht Central Prison. 12 inmates were hanged in Kermanshah, Ilam, Birjand, Ardabil, Khalkhal, Ahvaz, Isfahan, and Amol prisons. Twelve prisoners from the Baluch minority were sent to the gallows in Zahedan Prison. Two members of the Arab minority, Majid Amouri, and Qadir Naseri were executed in Sepidar Prison in Ahvaz. A prisoner named Doroud Yousef Beigi in Kermanshah prison, a prisoner named Javad Amini in Amol prison, and three prisoners named Sattar Arghandeh, Khosrow Tarak, and Kamal Bayani in Ilam prison were sent to the gallows.
- On, June 10 and 11, the regime hanged four prisoners, Aminullah Brahui, Sanaullah Bahadorzehi, Rassam Pudineh, and Ismail Zarouzehi, in Zabul Prison, and sent two prisoners, Vahid Behmaram and Qelich Shokouhi, to the gallows in Urmia Central Prison.
- From July 6 to 13, the regime executed 25 prisoners. Two prisoners in Karaj Central Prison, two prisoners in Isfahan Dastgerd Prison, and four prisoners in Ilam Central Prison were sent to the gallows. A prisoner was hanged in Sari prison and a young man was hanged in Mashhad. An inmate was hanged in Borujerd. Another prisoner was hanged in Tabriz. Two prisoners were executed in Qom prison. One prisoner in Zahedan prison, and one prisoner in Nasrabad prison, Zabul were hanged. Six prisoners were hanged in Gorgan prison. One in Sari, one in Shiraz, and one in Gachsaran. A 65-year-old prisoner was hanged in Ahvaz. A prisoner was hanged in Zabul prison.
- From July 20 to 23 the regime hanged 11 prisoners, including a prisoner in Shiraz, seven Baloch prisoners in Zahedan and Zabul, and four prisoners in Qom. Three prisoners in Yazd, including a woman, two in Birjand, two in Isfahan.
- On July 27 and 28, the regime hanged a conscript in Rasht prison and two prisoners named Hiva Ahmadi and Payam Yazdani in Sanandaj. A prisoner named Mohammad Reza Arjamandi in Bam, a 72-year-old prisoner named Abdullah Rahimi, a female prisoner named Soheila Abedi in Sanandaj, another female prisoner named Faranak Beheshti in Urmia, and a female prisoner named Senobar Jalali was hanged in Gohardasht prison.
- From August 1 to 10, the regime hanged Mohammad Hossein Alizadeh in Qom prison. Mehdi Nurkarmi was hanged in Arak prison. An inmate named Gharahlor in Qom and Milad Badrkhani and Hossein Bagherpour were hanged in Saveh Prison. Mojtaba Ramin was executed in Saveh Prison.
- From August 14 to 20 the regime hanged a prisoner in Birjand, an inmate in Khorramabad, two prisoners in Adel Abad prison in Shiraz, one prisoner in Sari, and four prisoners in Arak. And five prisoners were hanged in Yazd prison, Hamid, Khodarahm Naroui, and Saeed Kashani were identified. Seven Baluch prisoners were hanged in Zahedan, Zabul, and Iranshahr prisons.
- From August 20 to 22 the regime hanged Abulfazl Sharifi in Qazvin prison and Saeed Kamali in Dastgerd prison in Isfahan. A female prisoner and Hossein Mohseni and Fariborz Jamei in Adel Abad prison in Shiraz, Abbas Sarooni in Gonbadkavous prison. Moeen Atashbar, a Baluch, in Saravan prison. Eleven prisoners were hanged in Arak prison. Six, Morteza Soltani, Ahmad Abdi Nasab, Hossein Sadeghpour, Milad Badrkhani, Hossein Ganji, and Ahmed Naseri. And four, Vahid Mousa Khani, Mohammad Mashhad Alkubeh, Ahmad Marzban, and Mehdi Nokarmi in Arak prison. And Mithaq Yavari was hanged in Khorramabad prison.
- From August 24 to 28 the regime hanged at least 13 prisoners. Mojtaba Khademi Nejad and Rahim Qanbar Zahi in Shiraz. Esmail Bargrizan and Saeed Sabaki in Bandar Abbas. Omid Ali Gravand in Khorramabad prison, Gholamreza Kazemi and Reza Zahmati in Zabol prison. One prisoner in Tehran. Mohammad Reza Shahram Far and Hadi Jozeii along with three other prisoners in Gohardasht prison.
These death sentences have mercilessly been implemented while the regime’s nuclear negotiations with world power have reached a fateful point. Notably, so-called Hassan Rouhani’s government implemented over 1,054 executions in 2015 while the first round of nuclear talks was undertaken.
Now, under the butcher of Tehran, the Iranian regime is involved in another round of nuclear negotiations. On the other hand, Raisi has planned to visit New York City and attend the 77th session of the United Nations General Assembly as his regime has hastily sent prisoners to the gallows.
In such circumstances, the international community should stand alongside the people of Iran, who are the first victims of the world’s record-holder regime in execution and foremost state-sponsor of Terrorism—welcoming Raisi and his delegation by UN officials and giving him a tribune to spread his hateful and egregious comments deeply insult not only the people of Iran but millions of people in the Middle East.