News : Iranian opposition
- Published: Friday, 19 April 2019
By INU Staff
INU - Earlier this month, Maryam Rajavi, the President of the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI), explained exactly why the Iranian Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) should be placed on the US State Department’s list of Foreign Terrorist Organizations (FTO), following the joint proposal of the idea by Donald Trump and Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.
Since Maryam Rajavi gave her explanation, the US State Department did add the IRGC to their list of FTOs. In this article, we will look why Maryam Rajavi argued for the IRGC to be designated as a terror group by the US, how she feels following the designation, and what the US (and, indeed, the rest of the world) can do next.
First, why Maryam Rajavi believes that the IRGC should be designated as a terror group.
Maryam Rajavi explained that the Iranian Resistance has long been demanding that the suppressive IRGC be designated as a terrorist group in order to improve security, peace, and stability in the Middle East and end war and terrorism across the region and the world.
She described this as an “urgent and necessary step”.
Maryam Rajavi noted that the IRGC was an important pillar of the velayat-e faqih regime (absolute clerical rule) because it serves as the “main apparatus of repression” and the “primary driver of war and export of terrorism”. The IRGC also controls the vast majority of Iran’s economy and is responsible for pursuing nuclear weapons and missile projects, so it is no wonder that the Regime, its apologists, and its mercenaries were terrified about the designation of the IRGC.
Maryam Rajavi said that the “disastrous” appeasement policy had given the mullahs and the IRGC a free pass to repress its own people and wreak havoc across the Middle East, specifically Iraq, Syria. Lebanon, Yemen and Afghanistan.
Now, when the IRGC was officially designated as a terror group on Monday, Maryam Rajavi welcomed the move, calling it “long overdue”, but she could not rest on her laurels. Instead, there was more to be done.
What should happen next?
Well, Maryam Rajavi has got a list of actions that need to be taken in order to fully tackle the problem of Iranian terrorism, with the ultimate solution for the Iranian people and their resistance to rise up and remove the Regime that threatens the world.
Here’s how Maryam Rajavi believes the world can help:
- The EU and other nations should join the US in placing the IRGC on the terror watch lists
- Place the Iranian Ministry of Intelligence and Security (MOIS) and other organs of suppression, the export of terrorism, and fundamentalism onto the US FTO, the EU terror watch list, and the terrorism lists of any other country
- Recognise that the Iranian people and their Resistance have the right to overthrow the Regime and establish a free, democratic state
- Expel Iranian agents from the MOIS, Quds Force, and other malign bodies from the US, EU, and other countries
- Refer the dossier on the Regime’s human rights violations (inc. the 1988 massacre of 30,000 political prisoners) to the United Nations Security Council and the International Court of Justice
- Expel the Regime from the UN and recognise the Resistance as the true representative of the Iranian people
- Evict the Regime and its proxies from Syria, Iraq, Yemen, Lebanon and Afghanistan