News : Iranian opposition
- Published: Saturday, 12 October 2019 18:15
In a previous piece, we discussed how the People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI, Mujahedin-e Khalq or MEK) has been fighting for freedom in Iran against two dictatorships for nearly 55 years.
This has earned the MEK the love of the Iranian people, the respect of the international community and human rights organizations, and the ire of the Iranian Regime.
Today, we will look at the 10-point political platform adopted by the MEK, which would be introduced into a Free Iran.
- Free and Fair Elections - The MEK believes that the only criterion for political legitimacy in a democracy is the ballot box, so they seek a republic based on universal suffrage.
- Pluralism - The MEK is dedicated to protecting individual freedoms, which includes freedom of expression, freedom of parties, freedom of assembly, freedom of information, and unconditional access by all to the Internet.
- Abolition of the Death Penalty - The MEK would ban the death penalty in Iran in all circumstances.
- Religion and State - The MEK is committed to the separation of religion and state. They would also ban any form of discrimination against the followers of any religion and denomination.
- Gender Equality - The MEK believes in complete gender equality across the political, social, and economic arenas, as well as championing the equal participation of women in political leadership. The MEK would ban any form of discrimination against women and provide them with the basic freedoms they are currently denied, giving them the choice in matters of clothing, marriage, divorce, education, and employment.
- Judicial System - The MEK believes in justice and the rule of law, so they would abolish the mullahs’ Sharia law, seek the total independence of judges, and set up a modern judicial system. This system would be based on the principles of presumption of innocence, the right to defense, effective judicial protection and the right to be tried in a public court.
- Human Rights - The MEK is committed to the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and international covenant and conventions, including the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights, the Convention against Torture, and the Convention on the Elimination of all Forms of Discrimination against Women.
- Equality - The MEK is committed to the equality of all nationalities, believing that the language and culture of all residents should be preserved as a human resource to benefit the nation. The MEK also supports the plan for the autonomy of Iranian Kurdistan, adopted by the National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI).
- Market Economy - The MEK recognizes private property, private investment, and the market economy, believing that all Iranian people must have equal opportunity in employment and business ventures. The MEK will also protect and revitalize the environment.
- Foreign Policy - The MEK’s foreign policy will be based on peaceful coexistence, international and regional peace and cooperation, as well as respect for the United Nations Charter. It will also include a non-nuclear Iran, free of weapons of mass destruction.
- Regime Apologists Attacking MEK Don’t Realise the Mullahs Are All but Over
- Next:Iran: Resistance Movement Growing Strong and Louder