News : Middle East
- Published: Thursday, 03 October 2019
The biggest anti-regime group in Iran has presented damning evidence that Tehran was responsible for the attack on oil facilities in Saudi Arabia on September 14.
The National Council of Resistance of Iran released a 22-page report of evidence gathered from its covert intelligence network, which states that Iran’s supreme leader Ali Khamenei “directly ordered the commanders of the operation to conduct the attack”.
Alireza Jafarzadeh, the NCRI’s Washington office deputy director, said: “The simultaneous missile and drone attack on Saudi Arabia’s oil facilities on September 14, 2019, emanated from inside Iran and was a blatant act of war that Khamenei, Rouhani, Zarif and other regime heads were responsible for in deciding, approving and implementing.”
The attack, which used 25 drones and missiles, shut down half of Saudi Arabia’s oil facilities and sent global prices soaring.
Iran denied the attack and the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen claimed responsibility, but this would mean the attack came from a completely different direction.
There is mounting evidence, according to US officials, especially after France, Britain, and Germany joined Saudi Arabia in blaming Iran for the attack. (After all, the NCRI previously revealed nuclear developments and facilities that were later confirmed by US intelligence.) Donald Trump encouraged other countries to follow a “maximum pressure” campaign and said that all countries must act to avoid subsidizing Iran’s “bloodlust”.
However, the NCRI suggests that the Regime’s true goal is suppressing the Iranian people.
Shahin Gobadi of the NCRI said: “The regime hopelessly tries to prevent a popular uprising and thwart the expansion of resistance units by using internal suppression and external sponsorship of terrorism. It seeks to contain the deep-seated anger of society at its disastrous and inhuman rule.”
The report says that the plan of attack was approved by the Regime’s Supreme National Security Council, including President Hassan Rouhani and Foreign Minister Mohammad Javad Zarif, on July 31. The Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) then deployed commanders to Omidiyeh airbase in Khuzestan province, where the Ya-Ali cruise missiles used in the attack were first unveiled in 2014.
The NCRI warns that a new attack is planned as the IRGC moved new units to the base after September 22, but that there is “no information on their orders”.
The report said: “The regime is counting on the inaction of the international community in its aggression. As long as this regime exists, it will not cease its aggression.”
- Iran Threatens Regional Adversaries to Break with the US
- Next:United Kingdom Calls on Iranian Regime to Respect International Law