He said, “The position of the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia is very clear on the Iranian ballistic missiles that were launched from Houthi territory in Yemen by Iranian agents and agents of Hezbollah towards the kingdom, and it is a stark violation of international law,” and added, “The kingdom has the right to respond to this hostile Iranian act in the appropriate way at the right time and place.”
According to Saudi forces, seven missiles were intercepted late on Sunday, including one over the capital Riyadh. An Egyptian man died when burning shrapnel struck his home in the capital.
The Saudi-led coalition fighting in Yemen on behalf of the internationally recognized government has presented evidence that ballistic missiles found in the country were smuggled from Iran, Al Jubeir reiterated.
In his first comments since the attack, he said, “We have objected to it, and we have presented it to the world and to our allies to reaffirm they are Iranian missiles, and they are, no doubt.”
Although the Houthi rebels have fired dozens of missiles into Saudi Arabia since last year, Saudi forces have intercepted all of them.
On November 4th, a major attack targeted Riyadh international airport. Another strike on December 19th targeted Riyadh’s Yamamah palace — the official residence of the king.
Tehran was in clear violation of international law and of UN resolution 2216, which imposes an arms embargo on the rebels, said Al Jubeir, who added that the UN efforts to address arms smuggling into Yemen are improving.
He also said during Tuesday’s UN conference, that Saudi Arabia and the UAE — which is also part of the Arab coalition fighting in Yemen — will present a $930 million to the UN for humanitarian aid in Yemen, and that additionally, the kingdom will provide $70m towards the war-torn country’s infrastructure.
Following a two-hour meeting with Saudi’s Mohammed bin Salman, where the two men discussed the war in Yemen and the need for all parties to adhere to international humanitarian law, Mr Guterres expressed in a statement “his deep gratitude to the crown prince for delivering today on the generous pledge.” They also addressed “the critical need for humanitarian access across the country and for all of Yemen’s ports to remain open to both humanitarian and commercial movement.”
According to UN spokesmen, living conditions in the war-scarred country have reached catastrophic levels, with 8.4 million people facing imminent famine.
Meanwhile, US Secretary of Defense James Mattis said on Tuesday in Washington, that “the Iranian support to the Houthis that gives them this capability is clearly being countered.” He credited “in part the American systems that they [Saudi Arabia] bought and, more importantly right now, to the advisers we brought in to assist them in defense of the kingdom.”