The Iranian regime’s Foreign Ministry spokesperson, Saeed Khatibzadeh has stated that the regime will take part in nuclear talks, but only with no preconditions. This statement comes days after Foreign Minister, Hossein Amir-Abdollahian requested 10 billion dollars of blocked money from the United States before the regime will enter talks.
However, this demand was immediately rejected by the U.S. administration, as was the demand that was posed to Germany. A quote from the German Foreign Ministry, according to Reuters, read, “If here new conditions are being set by Iran for talks to be resumed, then we reject that.”
The National Council of Resistance of Iran (NCRI) said, “On September 12, Rafael Grossi, head of the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA), struck a deal with the regime allowing the IAEA inspectors to service monitoring equipment. But on September 26, the IAEA reported that the regime did not allow the “agency access to the TESA Karaj centrifuge component manufacturing workshop.”
Fearing that they could have their plans thwarted by the UN nuclear watchdog and western powers, the regime resorted to their duplicity method, which has ultimately allowed the regime to continue to dodge consequences for their actions.
The Iranian regime willingly signed a nuclear deal with the UN security council member states in 2015, formerly known as the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA), however as the deal did not fit the criteria of a treaty, there is no capability in it to stop the mullahs from pursuing their path to create weapons of mass destruction. Other loopholes in the deal have also failed to address the regime’s terrorist activities, so when the United States pulled out of the agreement in 2018, the regime soon began its campaign of nuclear extortion.
Since then, the regime has continued to breach their commitments under the deal, and within two years, they managed to enrich uranium to just over 20% purity. In August of this year, that purity level has now reached 60%.
The NCRI said, “The regime’s provocative steps underline that it has never stopped its projects to acquire a nuclear bomb, and it has used negotiations to kill time, and regime officials have confirmed this fact.”
Ali Akbar Salehi, the former head of the regime’s Atomic Energy Organization admitted in 2020 that although the international powers thought that they had won the negotiations, the regime had a countermeasure to prevent them from becoming trapped in a deadlock.
The regime’s Deputy Foreign Minister, Ali Bagheri Kani, spoke in an interview in 2019, expressing that the negotiations used to kill time allowed the regime to ramp up their efforts in enriching the uranium and to work on adapting their nuclear sites. He said, “…this required some time to achieve. Therefore, we bought some time. But when they were ready to negotiate a deal, the negotiation process expedited.”
The NCRI said, “After the regime’s repeated deceptive steps, the world powers should come to their senses and adopt a firm policy toward the regime. Khatibzadeh’s remarks also show that once world powers merely approach “firmness” in dealing with the regime, Tehran would be forced to stop its nuclear extortion campaign.”