The following is a roundup of the human rights situation in Iran for the month of February 2021, based on information from activists and state media, collected by Iran News Update.
1. Executions in Iran, February 2021:
At least 26 prisoners were executed in Iran in the month of February on various charges including Moharebeh (waging war on God), murder, and drugs. Among them were two women. The ages of the executed people were between 25 and 42 years.
The executions were carried out in the Central Prisons of Shiraz, Ardabil, Birjand, Meshginshahr, Noor, Borujerd, Gohardasht of Karaj, Arak Prison, Sepirdar and Sheiban Prisons in Ahvaz, and in an uncertain place in Tehran.
- A woman was executed on charges of murder in the Ardabil Central Prison on February 8.
- Zahra Esmaeili was executed on charges of murder in Gohardasht Prison on February 17. She was sentenced to death on charges of murdering her husband who was an Awareness officer.
Her husband was murdered by her daughter, but Zahra Esma’ili to rescue her daughter from the execution accepted the charge.
Zahra Esmaeili, at the execution site in response to the execution of the rest of the prisoners who were accompanied by her, had a heart attack and died immediately but the prison officers hanged her corpse.
Iranian activist Omid Moradi:
Zahra Ismaily died of heart failure because officials hanged 16 men in front of her. However, they hanged her lifeless body.
On February 17, I witnessed officials execute 17 inmates in Rajaeishahr Prison. Zahra's husband was a top MOIS manager. pic.twitter.com/YdbfKA5q0u
— Iran News Update (@IranNewsUpdate1) February 20, 2021
Political Prisoners Executed:
Among the executed prisoners, there are four political prisoners that are as follows:
- Jassem Heydari: On charges of Moharebeh in Shihan Prison, was executed on February 28, 2021.
- Hossein Seylavi: On charges of Moharebeh in Shihan prison, was executed on February 28, 2021.
- Ali Khasraji: On charges of Moharebeh in Shihan Prison, was executed on February 28, 2021.
- Nasser Khaffajian: Charged by Moharebeh in Shihan Prison, was executed on February 28, 2021.
2. Arrests in Iran, February 2021:
In February 2021, some 218 people were arrested under different pretexts.
At least 56 people were arrested under pretexts such as cooperation with the opposition People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK), participating in the uprising of Saravan, cooperation with Kurdish parties, filming the acts of the IRGC, membership in Salafi groups, to implement prison sentences were arrested by security officers, intelligence agents, The Army and Fata Police.
- Some 39 people were arrested on charges such as membership in a dating group in Telegram, the release of immoral images, the implementation of a festival on the night of the death of the tenth Imam, taking part in a mixed party, and the management of the Internet news channel by the law enforcement and the Fata police.
Arrests of Religious Minorities:
- At least one person was arrested in Iran on the charge of converting to Christianity.
- Some 122 of the people involved in the marriage of children in the city of Namin, Ardabil Province, have been arrested.
3. Torture in Iran, February 2021:
In February 2021, according to published materials and reports that we collected, cases of torture in official and informal detention centers of the regime have been mentioned.
- A prisoner was tortured and raped in the Qom Central Prison, by the prison’s security officer.
- Mehrdad Taleshi was arrested by security officers in Tehran and was murdered in Shahpour awareness center under torture.
- Akbar Rashidi, a political prisoner, was beaten and tortured in the Urmia Central Prison with a degree of disabilities over 80 percent, by the order of one of the prison officers.
- Reza Moradiani, a political prisoner in the Great Tehran Prison, was in an emergency situation, but he was prevented from dispatching to hospital.
- Akbar Faraji, a political prisoner in Tehran Prison, is suffering from a cataract and a displaced shoulder and has continuous pain but is facing deprivation from treatment in a hospital.
- Ali Bagheri and Mohammad Najafi political prisoners in Arak Prison are both sick, but they are deprived of sick leave.
- Hadi Rostami, a normal prisoner in the Urmia Central Prison, has been committed suicide with a piece of glass two times, but they did not send him to a hospital outside the prison.
- Reza Taleshian Jelodarzadeh, a journalist in the Great Tehran Prison, despite having a seizure, has been deprived of treatment in a hospital.
- Naeb (Massoud) Hajipur, a political prisoner in the Urmia Central Prison, despite the fracture of the foot implantation, has been deprived of medical treatment and deployment to the hospital.
- Hassan Jujeh Gelvani, the political prisoner of the Ardabil Central Prison has been deprived of medical treatment.
- Gholam Hossein Calby, a political prisoner in Shihan prison, despite severe burns, has been deprived of deployment to the hospital.
- Hadi Rostami was an ordinary prisoner in the Urmia Central Prison, who has been convicted to hand amputation and 60 lashes.
4. Arbitrary murder in Iran, February 2021:
- In February 2021, several cargo porters (Kolbars), fuel porters, and other citizens were killed in various provinces by law enforcement, Border’s officers, and IRGC officials:
- Hashem Hassani was murdered during porting at Baneh’s borders by the direct firing of the border regiment.
- Khalid Ahmadpour was killed during porting on the border of Qasdeh Rash Sardasht by the direct firing of the border regiment.
- Due to the shooting of security forces on a car in Minab, the car was burned, and the car driver was killed. The victim’s name was Khalil.
- An Iranian Kurdish businessman, Behzad Hashemi, was murdered in the three-way of Salmas to Khoy, while riding on his car, by the direct fire of law enforcement officers.
- Two businessmen, Abu Bakr Mohammadi, and Escand Mohammad were murdered by army officers in a chase.
- A fuel porter, Qassem Arzi Zehi, was killed due to the shooting of a border regiment in Sib and Soran county.
- Another fuel porter, Mohammad Sanjari, 19, was murdered by the shooting of a border regiment in Saravan city.
- Two brothers, Abdullah Naderi and Osman Naderi were killed on the road from the Shinabad village to the Zendan Village by IRGC officers without any previous warnings.
5. Suicides and Death Under Torture at Prisons in Iran, February 2021:
- Hadi Rostami, an ordinary prisoner in the Urmia Central Prison, committed suicide by eating glass splitters, to protest his detention in the safe ward and fearing the implementation of the sentence to amputate four fingers of his right hand.
- Behnam Mahjoubi, a member of the Gonabad Dervishes, died in Evin Prison due to drug poisoning and his belated transfer to the hospital.
- Mehrdad Taleshi was arrested by security officers in Tehran and was murdered in Shahpour awareness under torture.