On Tuesday, December 20, 2022, citizens from different walks of life resumed anti-regime protests across Iran. Merchants and other strata also continued the nationwide strike in solidarity with the ongoing revolution.
In Gorgan, a large rally was held in memory of Dr. Ayda Rostami, abducted and murdered under security forces’ torture for healing injured protesters in Tehran’s Ekbatan town seven days ago. The attendants chanted slogans against the regime as they commemorated Rostami. The regime dispatched plainclothes agents to the site to control the situation, but the people continued their rally.
“The courageous people of Gorgan commemorated Dr. Aida Rostami on the 7th day of her martyrdom with chants of ‘Khamenei is a murderer,’ calling for the overthrow of his regime that relies on executions and torture,” said Mrs. Maryam Rajavi, the President-elect of the National Council of Resistance of Iran. “Dr. Aida Rostami was viciously tortured to death for treating wounded protesters. I urge all physicians and medical societies to condemn her heinous murder.”
December 20 marked the 96th day of anti-regime protests in Iran. The demonstrations began following the heinous murder of Mahsa Amini, 22, in police custody. However, it immediately turned into a revolution against the entire theocratic regime.
According to the Iranian opposition Mojahedin-e Khalq (MEK/PMOI), the protests have extended to 282 cities. The regime has killed over 750 citizens, injured tens of thousands, and detained more than 30,000. The MEK has published the names of 596 killed protesters.
As of 11 pm Tehran time on December 20, protests in #Iran have expanded to 280 cities.
Over 750 people killed and more than 30,000 arrested by the regime's forces. The PMOI/MEK has published the names of 596 killed protesters.#IranRevoIution#مرگ_بر_ستمگر_چه_شاه_باشه_چه_رهبر pic.twitter.com/ndkogwbmeE
— People's Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) (@Mojahedineng) December 20, 2022
- Human Rights Council president Federico Villegas appointed the members of the recently established Fact-Finding Mission on Iran:
– Sara Hossain of Bangladesh (chair)
– Shaheen Sardar Ali of Pakistan
– Viviana Krsticevic of Argentina
- Protesters attacked the regime symbols, Revolutionary Guards Basij bases, and oppressive centers in Eslamshahr, Qom, Esfarayen, Galedar, Yazd, Golpayegan, Rudbar, etc.
- The regime hanged at least two inmates in Sari Prison, five in Shiraz’s Adilabad Prison, and three in Karaj’s Central Prison.
- Reports from Barangerd village, Izeh, say Mojahed Kurkur, Mahmoud Ahmadi, and Hossein Saeedi were killed in the IRGC attack. These citizens along their comrades reportedly struck IRGC forces following the heinous murder of Kian Pirfalak by security forces on November 16.
- Hamedan’s Bu-Ali University students slammed the Raisi cabinet spokesperson Ali Bahadori-Jahromi, booing him and chanting anti-regime slogans.
- The EU foreign policy chief told Iran’s foreign minister that Tehran should immediately halt military support for Russia and internal repression in Iran, reflecting worsening ties as diplomacy to revive the 2015 nuclear deal remains at a standstill, Reuters reports.
- In a less-seen video taken in California on November 4, U.S. President Joe Biden declared that the Iran nuclear deal is “dead.” Responding to an Iranian woman, Biden added, “I know [the mullahs] don’t represent you. But they will have a nuclear weapon that they’ll represent.”
- “Iran must stop its nuclear escalation. Iran must end its support for the Russian war against Ukraine. Iran must stop destabilizing regional activities, especially its proliferation of missile technology, in its own region. It must stop gross human rights violations and repression of its own populations,” stated German Ambassador Antje Leendertse following the UN Security Council session on December 19.
- “We remain determined that Iran must never develop a nuclear weapon, must refrain from supporting Russia’s war of aggression against Ukraine, and must stop its proliferation of conventional weaponry to state and non-state actors in the Middle East. Such activities, alongside Iran’s violent repression of peaceful protests, will only result in Iran’s further isolation from the international community,” the governments of France, Germany, and the United Kingdom issued a joint statement on the JCPOA.
Ekbatan residents chant amid security forces’ gunfire: “Death to the dictator!” and “Death to IRGC Basij!” Source
Sadeghiyeh residents chant: “Khamenei is a murderer; his rule is illegitimate!” Source
Sarvazad residents chant: “Death to the dictator!” Source
Protesters resume anti-regime activities with hit-and-run tactics in Rudaki St. They blocked the street and exhausted security forces. Source
Protesters march in Ekbatan town, chanting: This is the time for revolution and joining the nationwide strike! Source
Protesters block Salsabil St, obstructing regime security forces’ traffic while the regime hanged the first protester Mohsen Shekari just for blocking a street in the capital. Source They chanted: “Death to the dictator!” and “This is the year of [Khamenei] overthrow!” Source
Apadana town residents chant anti-regime slogans at 9 pm: “Death to the dictator!” and “Death to Khamenei; damn [regime founder] Khomeini!” Source
Footage shows an army conscript sitting on a barrack’s wall in Shariati St, fitting a symbolic noose around his neck and displaying placards condemning executions. Source
Gorgan citizens marked the memory of Dr. #AydaRostami, killed by authorities for healing injured protesters in Ekbatan, Tehran, chanting:
[The regime] took our Ayda and returned his corpse! Source
Death to the dictator! Source
Death to [Khamenei] for all these years of crime! Source
I’ll kill whoever killed my sister! Source
Brave women chant in Gohardasht, Karaj:
This is the last message, we’ll rise up if [the regime] continues executions! Source
Poverty, corruption, high prices; we’re going to overthrow the regime! Source
“We may have freedom of expression, but we have no freedom after expression!” a Bu-Ali University student slams Raisi’s spokesperson Jahromi. “How do you hang people for blocking the streets in a few days?” Source
Further footage shows Bu-Ali University students slamming Raisi’s spokesperson Ali Bahadori-Jahromi, booing him. Source
Protesters torched the Khamenei representative’s office in Firuzabad. Source
Citizens chant “This is the year of [Khamenei] overthrow” in Isfahan city. Source
Razavi Khorasan Province:
Citizens chant “Death to Khamenei” in Mashhad, the dictator’s hometown! Source