Home News Iranian Opposition Iran Brought Together in Support of Protests in Isfahan Thanks to Resistance...

Iran Brought Together in Support of Protests in Isfahan Thanks to Resistance Units

Resistance Units installed posters around different parts of Tehran which read, “Isfahan is not alone. Down with the oppressor, be it the Shah or Ali Khamenei” and “The regime has stolen the water. It is time to rise.”
Resistance Units installed posters around different parts of Tehran which read, “Isfahan is not alone. Down with the oppressor, be it the Shah or Ali Khamenei” and “The regime has stolen the water. It is time to rise.”

As the protests at the dried-up Zayandeh Rud river basin in Isfahan continued last Friday, thousands of troops were dispatched by the Iranian regime to the area to suppress the unrest. Security forces took brutal measures to prevent the farmers in the province from gathering and holding protest rallies, but due to the efforts of the Iranian Resistance Units, their plight has been echoed across the country.

The People’s Mojahedin Organization of Iran (PMOI/MEK) said, “Resistance Units carried out activities in support of the protesters in Isfahan and condemnation of the regime’s violent suppression of their just demand.”

In cities across Iran, people have been taking to the streets in support of the farmers’ protest alongside the Resistance Units. In Mashhad, banners with the slogans were posted saying, “Isfahan is not alone” and “Iran is with Isfahan.”

Resistance Units installed posters around different parts of Tehran which read, “Isfahan is not alone. Down with the oppressor, be it the Shah or Ali Khamenei” and “The regime has stolen the water. It is time to rise.”

In many other cities across Iran, including Isfahan, Gorgan, Karaj, Kerman, Rasht, and Yazd, similar posters were also installed.

The MEK said, “For several months, the farmers of Isfahan have been protesting the regime’s destructive policies that have led to water shortages. In the past weeks, the farmers gathered in the dry basin of the Zayandeh Rud river to voice their protests.”

Thousands of people from Isfahan province have supported the movement greatly, joining the farmers in their protests and echoed calls to the regime to solve the farmers’ problems once and for all.

Orders from the Supreme Water Council and the Council of Coordination for the Zayandeh Rud river allocated 74.3 percent of the river’s waters for the farmers, with the remaining 25.7 percent for use by the regime’s energy ministry and their government projects. However, in actuality, the regime has taken it upon themselves to seize full control of the river’s capacity, leaving the farmers struggling to irrigate their land.

The MEK said, “On Thursday, security forces attacked the protesters, burning their tents and forcing them to disperse. On Friday, the farmers returned to the basin of Zayandeh Rud to resume their protests.”

When Thursday’s crackdown did not work, security and anti-riot forces used more force to disperse the protests, targeting protesters with tear gas and pellet guns. Hundreds of protesters were injured in the process, with many losing their eyesight due to direct hits from the pellets, and others being hospitalized with their wounds. Hundreds of others were arrested by the regime’s security forces also.

Despite the brutal crackdown, the farmers bravely resisted the regime’s suppression and continued their protests, chanting anti-regime slogans day and night.

The MEK said, “In their activities, the Resistance Units also commemorated the memory of Mirza Kuchak Khan, an Iranian revolutionary killed in 1921 in the struggle for freedom in Iran. Mirza Kuchak Khan was the founder of the Nehzat-e Jangal, a revolutionary movement in the forests of Gilan that fought against dictatorship and occupation.”